What Is The Crisis Care Program?
When in crisis, pet owners are often unable to focus on their own mental and physical wellbeing until they know that their companion animal will be safe. The Crisis Care Program provides reprieve to pet owners dealing with a life-changing event that impedes on their ability to care for their companion animal(s).
In addition to providing short-term housing for pets belonging to individuals that are impacted by crisis, the services provided by the program include:
- Customized safety planning.
- Crisis intervention for individuals unable to cope with their situation.
- Referrals to supporting agencies and community resources.
- Collaborative case management to reach personal goal outcomes, companion animals included.
- Educational outreach focusing on the human-animal bond and the Crisis Care Program.
What Are Some Parameters Of The Crisis Care Program?
This program is designed for individuals that have run out of safe options, it is a last resort program for individuals experiencing crisis and an inability to care for their animals temporarily. Some important information about the program:
- Crisis includes events such as natural disasters, loss of house due to fire or flooding, sudden hospitalization due to medical emergencies and/or mental health.
- This program also assists individuals in the LGBTQ+ community that may be facing community violence, employment discrimination, housing discrimination, lack of inclusive social services, etc.
- Individuals entering into a recovery program or rehab centre may also qualify for the program depending on the individual circumstances.
- It is required that if there are families or friends in the individuals life that can take responsibility for boarding at a kennel or veterinary clinic or care for the animal that all these options are exhausted before admittance into the program will be considered.
- In some cases, surrendering the animal may be strongly suggested.
How Does Someone Access The Program?
The Crisis Care Program operates across the province of Alberta.
Call us (780-447-3600 ext 3750) or email us (email@example.com).